Dear
class comrades,
There
are many pressing content and thematic elements to explore in Moss’, Change Me Into Zeus’s Daughter, but,
because of where I am currently situated in relationship to the preparation of
my own thesis (the first draft of which is due early next week) I will be
focusing on some structural elements of this work that I struggled with while
reading.
1) Episodes and narrative arc
After
reading this work slowly over the last few days and then consuming
approximately 160 pages in one sitting today, I feel absolutely flooded, as
though there is not one inch left of me available for story. The feeling is not
pleasant and I’m thinking about the way in which the structure of this text is
informing the sensation.
This
work (as seems to be common in memoirs, inclusive of my own) is built of
episodes that at times open up onto each other, and that are at times separated
in the form of distinct chapters. To differing levels of success these episodes
serve to build world, character, relationships, conflict, tension, within the
family, and between the family and the world/s in which they lived. While the
opening of the work at times feels slow, and laborious, occasionally overly
detailed, or repetitive, as the work unfolds the emotional register is cast
high. In a sense it is a litany of wounds opened, that in their truth I’m sure,
and in their rendering here, for the most-part do not heal. (Here I’ll own
again that I’m not quite finished the book yet, so maybe something shifts that
I haven’t yet arrived at).
In
reflecting on Winterson’s memoir I wonder how a more active meaning-making,
present-time, adult narrator would have served this work by both honouring the
complexity and pain that is made visible through the episodes, while also
offering some kind of broader narrative journey that gives a greater purpose to
the episodes beyond witnessing of events. It seems there are attempts at this –
the struggle with the desire to be beautiful, the use of Alice in Wonderland.
This feels particularly salient to me as I am thinking through what are the
structural pieces that will support readers of my work in agreeing to venture
from one, often difficult, episode to the next.
This
leads me to:
2) Tracking time
The
transitions in this text between episodes are at times profoundly inorganic.
For example I often found myself searching for indicators of age. While I
appreciated the ways memories unfolded onto each other, Moss was very
inconsistent in offering age/time markers. This compounded the overwhelming
impact of the episodes; and perhaps that was part of her strategy, to produce a
sensation of disorientation within the reader, highlighting both the static
dysfunction (though it did ebb and flow) and mapping the way in which the
sensation of time is often altered as a result of PTSD. The impact however was
that there was very little room for breath in the text, which for me would have
allowed the elements of the story to land more clearly, and squarely into my
heart, which I think is ultimately where a writer wants to connect with their
reader, first; at least that’s true for me.
3) Parenthetic and italicized text
I
wondered about the decision to utilize both parenthetic and italicized text in
the work. Again these strategies felt forced and drew me out of the story.
Part
of what wasn’t working with the italicized text was the tense jumping, as takes
place for example on page 41 and 42 during the bathroom makeover scene. It
seemed as though in the writing Moss was wrestling with committing to a present
time narrative voice, or trusting that in simply allowing her characters to act
in the time-space in which they were situated, that the internal world of those
characters, particularly little Barbara, would be made sufficiently visible. The
italics in their very visual lean, were attempting to lean us into the little
Barbara’s worldview/experience/childlike state of meaning-making and internal
dialogue; my experience however was that these moments dragged the text, at
times over-explained what was already obvious, and patromized, both the
character and the reader. Sometimes it felt as though this strategy was being
utilized to round up information as on page 45, “How dare he act like a civilized human being with her… When we were
kids, if we happened upon a dog that didn’t fit his ideal, he waited until we
loved it and then shot it.” It seemed like these moments in the text were
at times used to offload a strong feeling or judgment that she, as in Moss the
person, needed expressed, which in effect drew me away from sympathy with the
narrator, not because I wasn’t already down with her cause, but because it did
feel forced. I wonder if part of what this gestures to was the challenge in
determining what episodes to develop, and trusting that enough “information”
about characters would be revealed through those episodes. In my own approach
to reading and writing I am currently moving away from what has been a pretty
strict adherence to the show-don’t-tell ethic, which I think is important to
mention as I share this reflection.
In
terms of the parenthetic text, the impact for me was that they broke the fourth
wall, which can work, but was unnecessary. These moments of catching-us-up on
details ie. page 94, “(Dad used the word immaculate
to describe anything he though was particularly fine…)” could have simply
existed as part of the text that preceded and followed. That sensation of
whispering to us simply made me more aware of Moss the writer and drew me away
from the story. In more than one occasion what showed up in parentheses was
demonstrated through action later, so the impact was that I didn’t feel trusted
by Moss to be paying attention to the story enough to catch those threads.
4) Narrative credibility
There
were some challenges I had with trusting the narrator. For example early on in
the text we are told that she witnesses her mother cry only once – after the
death of the baby – however I believe we see Dorris weep on at least 4
occasions following (up to where I’ve arrived in the work). Further, Moss
writes on page 130, “We had left so much
of ourselves so many times that I hoarded all of my things in a sturdy
cardboard box.” I felt confused at this moment as based on my understanding
of the story they had until this point moved twice. The impact was that this
then read as an exaggeration. The reason I question this is not to question the
actuality of events or the truth of the feeling of the experience but to rather
identify the gap between the way in which the events are being recounted and
the emotional impact as it is being mapped.
ah, Mia, good work on studying the craft. Your thesis does not have the issues of the book. I appreciate your questioning her credibility because while i believe these things happened to their family, some of it feels staged. And it builds with the same kind of brick and so there's a uniformity to the flow that isn't breathing. so yes.
ReplyDeletee
Mia,
ReplyDeleteI too agree that a lot of things feel forced in this memoir. It didn't have that particular flow and did feel very constructed like and then this happened and then this happened, but not at all in a conversational tone. I really feel like Moss may have not have had the distance to let memoirs speak for themselves so she did in fact not trust them and is why she added all those "italicized text" sections you and I loved so much.